Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Beginning ...

Where do you start a story? Unless you want to get into a discussion in postmodern film or writing, the beginning would be a satisfactory answer.

I have been meaning to get started for a while. For whatever reason, I had been putting it off until yesterday, I became compelled to. Once the inertia was overcome, I had to think of a title. The title would need to stand up to high standards that my friends have established in their blogs.

So I thought long and hard. What should it be? I love football. I love eating, perhaps to my detriment at times. And I am scientist; I love what I do.

And then, the first post. I think defining the parameters is an excellent route to choose.

10 Yards and Primordial Soup. "3 yards and a cloud of dust" refers to a saying by Coach Woody Hayes of The Ohio St. University and his philosophy of towards offensive football in the 1960s & 1970s. The game has changed quite a bit, but the basics remain the same. I love football because it is like LEGOS - the pieces are all the same, but you assemble them in various ways to come up with amazing concepts. Football is a game of basics, tried & true, but how you put them together- that's the fun. That's the awesome. I picked 10 because 10 yards is a first down and Vince Young's soon to be retired Texas jersey number. Yes, I am a Longhorn, but I love all of college football. Except Oklahoma and Texas A&M. You'll also read my sending "props" or "shouts" out to my friends' teams, like Cal, Michigan, Michigan St., Florida, The U or Miami, UConn, etc.

Haar.

"Primordial Soup" is said to be how life began in a pond or ocean as a result of the combination of chemicals from the atmosphere and some form of energy to make amino acids, the building blocks of proteins, which would then evolve into all the species. I am a scientist. I firmly believe in evolution. And I am spiritual.

Deal with that you proponents of intelligent design.

I am also going to take some time and write about ideas and new concepts in science because I firmly believe in the dissemination of accurate knowledge. And yes, I can speak with authority on concepts within my bailiwick. For those concepts outside my domain, it is pretty easy to find someone to consult with.

Primordial soup also has the word "Soup" in it. I love food. I'll also talk about recipes or restaurants or burritos or beer that I enjoy. Food is a form of expression and to eat amazing food is an opportunity to understand the divine.

Finally, I will also address interesting things that I just find cool. Like how do people choose names for their children? Why is my name Thakman Jones? What's a metabolism and why fat is important if you want to lose weight?

Haar.

Yes, Haar is my favorite word. And hopefully, soon it will be yours as well.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

congrats! i love the title and i look forward to your posts. with pics i hope!

shyampatel said...

very nice, sir. I look forward to checking this blog obsessively just like the other friend's blogs. hehe.

s-fizzle said...

hey who is this thakman imposter? where is thakster? i thought you didn't want to be called thakman jones?


sfizzle

Jonathan said...

SWEET! Added to the blogroll!

The Bot said...

Will you be taking suggestions for post topics?

Thakman Jones said...

Thanks! I'll definitely be taking ideas for topics. I have the first 2-4 posts in mind, but after that it is open road.

Bushra said...

I look forward to future posts, Thakman Jones. I shall add you to my blogroll.

SoThakar said...

Hey bro. Good to hear from you in a different medium. I'm sure you'll make your crowd proud.