Friday, May 21, 2010

Words Thrown Away

In monumental stroke of bad luck, I left my wedding speech on my work desk. It seems the carpets were cleaned last night, and my paper pad was knocked to the floor. Once on the floor, my speech was steam cleaned.

It is ruined. The words smeared about. I have the gist in my head as well as the order of thoughts that I wanted to discuss in the 3-3.5 minutes I allotted to myself, however. And I think that is what I will do.

I like having a plan, but I feel as though plans are skeletons, outlines if you will permit, of what to do.

My father and I laid out each class I would take from freshman year to graduation of high school and then college. Remarkably, the high school plan was about 80%-90% the same. There is not much in high school that was going to attract my attention. If it was an AP class, I was going to take it and get the credit. In that process, I started college with 40-45 hrs of credit.

This laid the groundwork for my undergrad. So much of the early years of my father and my plan was already accounted for. I had room to explore and try new things. So, I did. Instead of taking 17-18 hrs some semesters, I backed off and took 12-14 hrs per semester that contributed towards my degree. I took a "throwaway" class each semester, like athletic conditioning, basketball skills I, Introduction to Hinduism's Origin, a hero's origin, or even a class on relativity [pass/fail]. The freedom and extra time also make a difference during football season when you are attempting to unleash 1000 crickets in the middle of the night on Nebraska's, the visiting team, hotel floor -- it gives you time to plan.

I have the outline in my head as well as a version of what I am going to say. And now, I have time/freedom to explore creative options for what I want to say. I have an opportunity to let my heart speak its mind to my wife-to-be. I have an opportunity to tell my parents what they mean to me. And, I have an opportunity to acknowledge my friends for what they have done to me.

I do not know exactly what I will say any longer. But, I do know I have a general idea from the original speech. And come game day, June 5th, whatever I do say will be in my voice. There will be no screen as we create when we edit or plan things out.

It's going to be exciting. And for some reason, I just know I will do well.

15 days. Bring it.

No comments: