Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Feminism and Stem Cells

The recent developments in the election process have stirred some thought within me. The tipping point for me to write this entry was reading an article by Camille Paglia. The truth is, Sarah Palin's nomination as the potential VP on the Republican ticket is a very significant event in the feminist movement.

In recent history, so much of the feminist movement centers on a woman's right to choose: pro-life or pro-choice. To be honest, this question does not interest me. I don't think this should be involved in politics, yet, it is and essentially defines what a feminist is.

The truth is, Sarah
Palin has the potential to become the new standard of what a feminist is. She represents the ability to have access to opportunity and have no gender barriers. I do not know what her actual intelligence level is, but she is fairly well-spoken so far on the national stage. I still think there is time for her to screw up. I think she is incredibly naive in terms of foreign affairs. Though she maybe able to see Russia from her porch in Alaska, she is no diplomat. My limited understanding of the problems women face leads me to think that too much effort is spent fight the pro-life or pro-choice debate. I understand why each side feels the way they do, and to be honest, I am not interested.

There are greater issues at stake, I believe. Also, quite
frankly, I think Palin's stance of not permitting abortion in the case of rape, incest, or potential harm to the mother is ridiculous. I do not believe abortions should be administered like pills, but there are cases where it may be the most optimal solution.

I highly urge you to read this Ms. Paglia's article. She does an amazing job of concisely defining the problems with
Obama's campaign, the Democrats problem with dealing with the Evangelical Christians, and attempting the redefine what feminism is.

With that being said, I abhor Sarah
Palin and what she represents, POLITICALLY. I do not agree with her stances. I think her views on creationism and science in general are incredibly flawed with no room for rectification on her end; her views are too stubborn and rooted in ignorance.

Her view of stem cells is even more strict than George W. Bush's. While many people are upset at the way Bush defined stem cell use with federal funds, I was not. It was what was needed at the time to slowly phase this incredible concept into our lives.
Unfortunately, further research led to finding contaminations resulting from cell culture protocols within many of the lines. So better lines need to be developed. With potential breakthroughs on the cusp of realization, is it really time to take steps backwards or forge ahead to fight the malicious diseases that exist?

And of course, there will always be people who support her.


Sigh. Her views represent everything that impedes true progress in this country.

3 comments:

SoThakar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SoThakar said...

Well, I have a hard time finding thoughtful analysis of Palin and her impact on politics and feminism. It's either one extreme or the other. As a result, I applaud you bro. I agree with your blog entry.

shyampatel said...

The question to ask is: what is she going to do for women's rights?

Sadly, she has said very little on this topic and, based on her political record, done very little too.

I have nothing against her and I'm sure she was great for the state of Alaska. However, I don't think her selection as a VP candidate does anything positive for feminism or this country.